Hi Girls, hope you are enjoying the normal life, I was also enjoying the same just like you all. But from last 1 year I am facing a problem, all the medical treatment is done, but the disease is not allowing me to live my life freely. So I would like to tell every one that no one will face the problem which I am facing. This disease is spreading his wings all over the world, the name of the diseases is Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), also known as hyperandrogenic anovulation (HA), or Stein–Leventhal syndrome. As per the local survey it is found that lot of girls and the women are facing these issues.
This is nothing but a set of systems which happens due to the hormonal imbalance in women. It cause due to the combination of genetic factors as well as the environmental factor. According to Medical science PCOS has no cure. Women who are in the age group of 18-40 years are mostly facing this problem, the main reason is PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder. It will affects 5% to 10% women of the above mention age group, the main cause is the lack of fertility.
Symptoms of PCOS
Due to environmental issues, we are able to see lots of patients who are facing the same problem of PCOS. Here are the symptoms of PCOS which is usually apparent in early twenties or late teens, symptoms are:
- No periods or irregular periods
- Excessive hair growth, it is also known as hirsutism, in this case hair grows usually on face, buttocks, chest or back.
- Difficulty in getting pregnant, reason behind this is the irregular ovulation
- Weight gain
- Hair loss from the head
- Acne on face
- Oily skin
- Menstrual problem and fail in conceiving the pregnancy (common symptoms in most of the women)
- Pelvic pain
The women are facing PCOS will not have the same symptom because symptoms can vary from mild to severe.
- Fertility problem: When a woman try to get pregnant and after a long time she is not getting success in it then she came to know that she have PCOS, it is a common cause of female infertility
- Fail to Ovulate: In each time of periods, the ovaries relate an egg into the uterus, this process is known as ovulation and it occurs only one time in a month. However, the women with PCOS will fail to ovulate that means their irregular or no periods, and due to all that condition they face difficulty in pregnancy.
- Enhance Risks in Later Life: If you have PCOS problem then there will be more chance of health issues in later life, the health issues may be:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Obstructive apnea
- Mood disorders and depression
- Endometrial cancer
- Affect self esteem and confidence
- High blood pressure and cholesterol
- Heart diseases
- Interrupted breathing during sleep
Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of Polycystic ovary syndrome is unknown but the specialists or doctors believe that it is occur due to the hormonal imbalance as well as genetic reason. One will also adopt PCOS from her mother or sister that means a woman will have more higher chances if her mother or sister are facing the condition of PCOS.
Another factor may be the overproduction of the hormone androgen. Basically, androgen is a male sex hormone but the woman’s body also produce it. If you have PCOS then you will higher levels of androgen hormones, this hormone affects the development as well as releasing of egg ovulation. Moreover, excess insulin may be caused high androgen levels.
Diagnosed Process for PCOS
This problem has not any specific test, but when you consult with your doctor then doctor will check your all medical report and symptoms and according to that they perform the test to find out the actual conditions. Your doctor will perform the pelvic and physical examination to see the signs of PCOS like swollen ovaries, etc.
Doctors also performed the blood test to measure the hormone levels in the body as well as for other reasons too. Some of the reasons are:
- Fasting Glucose Tests (to check blood sugar levels)
- Thyroid function Tests (to check that how much thyroid hormones are present in a body)
- Lipid Level Tests (to calculate the amount of cholesterol in body)
Other kind of diagnosis are:
- Vaginal ultrasound will help the gynecologist to create a real time image of reproductive organs
- Pelvic laparoscopy is a surgical procedure. In this procedure, the doctor makes a tiny cut in the abdomen and after that inserts a very small camera to check the current growth of ovaries and if growth is present, then the doctor will take a biopsy (small tissue sample) for further diagnosis
Treatment of PCOS
It is not curative, the treatment which is available for PCOS is just to control the symptoms as well as managing the conditions of PCOS to prevent from the complications. Treatment of PCOS will vary woman to woman because it depends upon the symptoms of woman.
- Regular exercise and healthy diet (mainly for those who are over weighted)
- If a woman doesn’t want to get pregnant, then the child control pills are prescribed (it will be helpful in treating the acne, helps in regulating menstrual cycle)
- Woman with Polycystic ovary syndrome is suffering from infertility then fertility drugs be directed to aid in ovulation
- Surgery is recommended to some women
- Ovarian drilling is also done, in this procedure, doctor punctures the ovary with the help of small needle, which carries an electric current, this is done to destroy the part of the ovary
- Anti androgen drugs will reduce the male hormone levels
A pregnant lady with PCOS will have higher chances of miscarriage, premature delivery, and gestational diabetes. Extra care is required during the pregnancy. When you face any kind of symptoms that are described above, then immediately you have to consult with your doctor because at earlier stage, the risk will have lower of complications.